Neutering/Spaying prevents animals from falling pregnant but there are also several benefits to having your pet neutered or spayed.
Neutering or spaying an animal refers to the removal of their reproductive organs. A female animal is spayed by having her ovaries and uterus removed. A male animal is castrated by having his testicles removed.
The benefits to having a female animal neutered are:
- Prevention of cancer of the uterus and ovaries
- Reduction of the incidence of Mammary Tumour Development
- Prevention of uterine infections (Pyometra) in older age
- Prevention of unwanted pregnancies
The benefits to having a male animal neutered are:
- Prevention of testicular cancer
- Reduction of the incidence of prostatic diseases, including cancer
- Prevention or reduction in aggressive hormonal behaviour
- Prevention of unwanted male behaviours; urine marking and roaming
If you don’t plan to breed from your pet, neutering is the most responsible action to take.